Home Legal Australia

Overseas Marriage and Australian Citizens

Generally speaking if you get married legally in a country which appears on this list, your marriage will be legally valid in Australia.

Validity of Foreign Marriage

Overseas marriages by Australian citizens are recognised as legal and valid within Australia provided:

Certificate of No Impediment

Most countries require a couple applying for a marriage licence or for permission to marry to produce a certificate stating that they are free to marry.

This is known as a "Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage" and can be issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade through State and Territory offices or through overseas missions. 

An application form for a certificate is available at your nearest state or territory office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

You do not need to attend at the office in person, just complete the forms and return with the current fee.

Note: Certificates will only be issued by the Australian Embassy or Consulate in the country in which the marriage will take place if this is a specified requirement of that country.

Registering a Foreign Marriage

You not only do not need to register a marriage which took place overseas when you return to Australia.

The foreign marriage certificate is accepted in Australia for all legal purposes.

Useful Contacts

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
R.G. Casey Building,
John McEwen Crescent,
Barton, ACT, 0221 Australia.
Tel: +61 2 6261 1111
Fax: +61 2 6261 3111

Adelaide, South Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
Sydney, New South Wales
Perth, Western Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
Hobart, Tasmania
Darwin, Northern Territory